To dig out 10 old pits and replace them with 9 new pits within a 12 week period, whilst the workshop was still under 24 hour operation.
The garage needed to install new pits due to bus design changes such as lower floors affecting under body access and the change in the size of modern buses. It was not an option to close down the workshop whilst the project took place, the replacements went ahead in a 24 hour fully operational workshop. The waste away generated had to be cleared on a daily basis to keep the workshop as clear as possible.
To keep the workshop disruption to a minimum, Premier Pits worked on sections of 3 or 4 pits at a time. Each pit was broken out individually and replaced with a new one before moving onto the next. This approach made it possible for Premier Pits to work efficiently while Lothian the garage went about their day to day operations with minimum disruptions. The waste away generated is generally cleared after the dig outs have been completed, so to clear on a daily basis from this site caused extra time and labour but did not delay the project.
The garage took out a complete pit replacement involving 10 old pits and 9 new pits without having to close down the workshop and within the 12 weeks period allocated.
Nine working pits each 17 metres long; 1.25 metres wide and 1.65 metres deep.
Why choose a Premier Pit?
- Structural Calculations for 20 tonne per axle in normal ground conditions, site specific when required, up to 50 tonne.
- Jacking rail 150 x 75 PFC
- Zone 2 lights – Flameproof twin tubed
- Premier Safety Lights (Epsilon 05 Atex 1426 X) (Optional)
- Armoured flex cable with zoned glands
- Lights and cables attached to galvanised unistrut with a plastic fascia
- Anti-slip steps, Elefant tread – Galvanised.
- Handrail – Hinged or fixed
- Galvanised step-up rail for aluminum step up platform to run on (Optional)
- Integral sump fitted as standard, no pump.
- Unique bond of steel to concrete – Solid. Lattice work, not sprags.
- 10 year warranty on Premier Pits installation
- First pit installed 35 years ago and still in daily use
- All pits sand blasted to SA 2 1/2
- Etch Primer 10 – 20 microns.
- Top coat – ISO free 2 pack modified epoxy 180 micro DFT.
- All staff employed directly.
Please note that not all prefabricated pits are to this standard